12.18.2005

Works in progress...





No small amount of time has gone into this kitchen update. We don't plan on living here forever, so we didn't gut the place and start from scratch, but instead tried something more in the spirit of restoration, or reimagination. It's been fun - laughing and joking as we surreptitiously snuck out of the house for a couple of hours to look for brushed nickel hinges, trying nonstop to one-up each other with endearing tales of Mr. Man and Little Miss.

We aren't done yet...looks like after the new counter and sink go in I'll need to repaint. This makes me glad I used the lasts-till-Doomsday Behr Premium Plus 12 months ago...very glad....

Where was I? Oh yeah, restoration. The whole house has been like this: an exercise in what's reasonable, what's possible, and finding a great deal of enjoyment - mixed with an uneven assortment of some of my more irrational moments - found in the act of reshaping things. For what it's worth, the image in my mind's eye is slowly coming into focus, and that's rewarding in its own right.

More importantly, the whole process of making this 1950's bungalo intended for a family of three, modified to accomodate four, and now housing five of us - soon to be six! - our home has reminded me how singular a women my wife is. This renovation has been the easiest out of the many projects we've worked on (could it be because I've done the least actual work on it?) and its reminded me that we're still having fun, and she's definitely still the one. It's hard to find a good girl, and even harder to be worthy of one. But it's a good problem to have.




3 Comments:

Blogger Rabia said...

awww! masha'Allah. it's inspiration to see the fire is still lit! :) we're off on sat. what are u guys up to?

10:48 PM  
Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

LET ME PUT THIS IN CAPS SO MY CUZ HAS WRITTEN VERIFICATION:

YOU GUYS NEVER NEED A FORMAL INVITE. DROP BY WITH LITTLE OR NO NOTICE WHENEVER YOU'D LIKE!

LET'S PLAY SOME POKAH!

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goddamn! If I have to hear anymore about the poker i may just have to KILL someone!

Preferably the brother but odds on getting away with that scott free are unlikely. Have you SEEN the tiger he's married too?

I've said it RL but I'll say it here too, simply because I like to talk and if you give me keyboard and space dammit you can't stop me from using it (btw is there a space limit or a word count???). Oh yeah what i was saying? God knows....oh wait I remember....The kitchen will be too good for the rest of the house once it's done.

Strangely he's being really modest about the kitchen will probably be a first in Khan history. Maybe we can hope for more first, like more humility...well actually any humility would be good...but whatever. The floors are outstanding...the appliances are just soooooooooooo cool. I'm actually envious. I want! A lot! I mean really who wouldn't want a dishwasher that you don't have to scream over.

ARRRRRRRRGH get me out of domesticity hell PLEASE!!!!!

Nice pics Bro

Your crazy sis.

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home